As the holidays are approaching it is important to be aware of your surroundings
and take certain precautions in order to stay safe. At the Law Office
of Steven R. Whitman, we want to equip you with certain safety tips to
remember this holiday season.
Check out our December safety tips:
If You Are Traveling
- Get an automatic timer for your lights.
- Ask a neighbor to watch your home, shovel snow, and park in the driveway
from time to time.
- Don't forget to have mail and newspaper delivery stopped. If it piles
up, it's a sure sign you're gone.
If You Are Out for the Evening
- Turn on lights and a radio or TV so it looks like someone's home.
- Be extra cautious about locking doors and windows when you leave, even
if it's just for a few minutes.
- Don't display gifts where they can be seen from outside.
If You Are Shopping
- Stay alert and be aware of what's going on around you.
- Park in a well-lighted space, and be sure to lock the car, close the windows,
and hide shopping bags and gifts in the trunk.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash; pay with a check or credit card whenever possible.
- Deter pickpockets and purse-snatchers. Don't overburden yourself with
packages. Be extra careful with purses and wallets. Carry a purse close
to your body, not dangling by the straps. Put a wallet in an inside coat
or front pants pocket.
- Shopping with kids? Teach them to go to a store clerk or security guard
if you get separated.
As another side note, if you have been consuming alcohol after a holiday
party, plan on a designated driver, cab or Uber to get you home safely.
Enjoy the season and be safe.